Wednesday, March 5, 2008

You're Gonna Miss This

Today after I dropped Isaac off at preschool I was on my way to run errands and flipping through the radio stations. I started listening to this song that I hadn't heard before and I immediatley started to cry. The words, especially the very last part about the kids really hit me. I know I am much more emotional when I am pregnant (scary since I am pretty emotional when I am NOT pregnant), but the words really rang true to me. Some days I wish my kids would grow up faster and most days I know I don't cherish the here and now, especially when kids are sick or homework is taking forever, or it is tax season. So I am going to try to live more in the moment and be grateful for the chaos around me as my children are growing up. They really do grow up way to fast and I know I am "gonna miss this."

You're Gonna Miss This
By Trace Adkins

She was staring out the window of that SUV
Complaining, saying "I can't wait to turn 18"
She said "I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules"
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said "I was just like you"

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her "It's a nice place"
She says "It'll do for now"
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says "Baby, just slow down"

Cause you're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says "They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but ...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"

3 comments:

Ashley A. said...

I was on the verge of tears, too, and I don't have pregnancy for an excuse! But we all know I'm a cry-baby. That was a good song!

Anne said...

Wow I have to find that song on iTunes and listen to it. I love the words, can't wait to hear the tune. So tender. Thanks for sharing!

Tirsa said...

I also LOVE this song. What a great message.