Monday, March 17, 2008

Welcome Spring!

Last week was a bad hive week for Emily. Welcome to spring. She has been getting hives a few times a year since she was three years old. We have taken her to get allergy tested and they basically told us that they don't really know what the cause is. They come out in the spring pretty seasonally, but they are also at other random times of the year. They can last anywhere from a few hours to over a week. This year was particularly bad in that she actually had to stay home from school (first sick day EVER!) Her face, hands and feet were swollen and the hives on her feet made it painful and hard for her to walk. I felt so bad for her. Usually the Benedryl will do the trick but this time it only lasted for about 1 1/2 hours. After her missing two days I finally was able to get a heavy duty prescription strength antihistamine as well as some oral steroids to help knock them out. Poor thing has been in a drug haze for days. It has been 6 days and she is only having some minor break through hives now. Hopefully in another few days they will be all gone. I told Em I wouldn't post pictures, but she said I could......I don't know if you can tell in the picture, but her neck is one big hive as well as her forehead and eyelids. This picture is before her face was swollen and doesn't even show it as bad as it was!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Poor Baby...I wish I had some advice. We use Benadryl and Claritin for our allergies.

Anne said...

Oooooh... I'm glad she's doing better now! That is no fun. :(

Moose and Family said...

Poor thing. If you're ever in the area, there is a fabulous doctor in Provo that specializes in allergies and alternative medicine. He's a regular doctor and a member of the church. He has done wonders for my cousins' kids & their allergies. What a bummer for her to miss school!

MEB said...

Poor girl! That doesn't look like any fun! I am glad she is feeling better!

Jana said...

Lisa,

Camber gets exactly the same thing every year. It starts in late February/early March and lasts through the end of June. It is worst on her neck, armpits, hands, and behind her knees. The doctors don't know what it is, but we do know it is some kind of allergic reaction to pollen/springtime stufff. Camber takes Zyrtec and we put a prescription-strength cream on her rash called Desoximetasone, .25%. She takes baths 2x day in Aveeno oatmeal milkbath and we wash her hands religiously. All of this doesn't make the situation go away, but it does make her a lot less uncomfortable. Hope this helps. I can send you some pictures of Camber's rash right now if you want to see. Same "spotty" and "patchy" look as Emily's. Weird.