Thursday, March 20, 2008

Blankie and Sandy

Every since Emily was about two years old she has had a love affair with her Blankie and her dog, Sandy. In fact when she was in Sunbeams at age three her teacher once asked me how our dog was. I was confused as we didn't have a dog then. She said that Emily always talks about her dog, Sandy. Of course!! In her three year old mind, we did have a dog--her beloved, loyal pet Sandy. One time when she was three, she lost Sandy and looked all over for her. With the perfect faith of a three year old she said a prayer and right after saying "Amen" she popped right up and said she knew where she was. Sure enough she was led right to her. Emily gained a testimony of prayer and of the Holy Ghost whispering in her ear because of Sandy.


Her Blankie was actually Chris' when he was a child so it is really special to Emily. She loves to snuggle up with it and she has always taken good care of it. In the mornings after she makes her bed she folds it up and puts it on her pillow with Sandy on top of it.




Anyway-- the point I am getting to with all of this is that today Emily went on a 4th grade overnight camping trip with her school class (Nana went to chaperon!). Last night when we were packing I asked if she was going to put Sandy and Blankie in her pillow case to take. She said she wasn't bringing them. I WAS SHOCKED! Em has NEVER spend a night apart from these two things, EVER! After the shock subsided I started feeling sad thinking of my little Emily getting so grown up. I know she will be fine without them for a night, but part of me wishes she would have taken them with her if only to stay a little girl in the eyes of her mother a bit longer.

I love you Emily!

9 comments:

Nicole said...

What is that blanket made of that it lasted through Christ and 9 years of Emily? Avery got attatched to a blanket made of Chenille, not a sturdy fabric at all. At the time, the only store that carried chenille baby blankets was Kmart, and of course all of the Sacramento stores went out of business. So we had to search high and low to replace it every 6 months. I tried to replace it with pink blankets that were similar looking, but they would never suffice she loved the texture of the chenille. I finally told her that she was old enough and that I wasn't replacing it anymore, so when it wore out, it wore out. When it finally got disgusting enough, I cut a little square of it off and she keeps that.
I made sure that Hayden and Jaxton's blankies were made of something more durrable, because, it is so nice when they have something that makes them feel secure and comforted.

Ashley A. said...

I'm sad that Emily is growing up, too. I love that picture of Em and Abby reading! It's so cute. I miss those days when Abby was a chubby little girl. I can't even believe Em is in the 4th grade!

Moose and Family said...

Thank you for sharing!! Both my kids have blankies too. Heaven forbid should we ever loose one!!

Anne said...

Ahhh... I bet you are missing Emily tonight! That is too cute. She is all grown up. You are so good about putting up all those cute pics. Maybe she'll pass down her blankie to her firstborn, too. CUTE!

I bet she's having a great time on the campout. I'm sure she'll have lots to tell.

MEB said...

What a cute story! How exciting to go on the overnight campout and even better that your mom could go with her. Tell your mom Hi for me. She looks great!

MEB said...

What a cute story! How exciting to go on the overnight campout and even better that your mom could go with her. Tell your mom Hi for me. She looks great!

Sheri said...

Lucky you that the blankie is blue. Olivia fell in love with a blankie that WAS pure white. Now it is dingy grey and falling apart. Cosette is acting like she might want one---I will make sure it is dark purple! How fun for your mom to go on the overnight fieldtrip!

Sheri

Melissa said...

I love seeing the pictures of Emily as such a cute little toddler! Was it hard to find ones with her and her blanket - such a great collection of her growing up with it! I can't believe how fast kids grow up. Did you go hug Sandy while she was away, from missing Emily? I probably would have with Blake or Grace! It looks like her blanket may last through for one of her kids, too.

Lisa said...

Nicole,

I am not sure what the blanket is made of. Something silky. I know it is crazy that it has held up so well with only a few minor repairs from Nana.

Melissa- I didn't let myself go into Em's room to look at Sandy after she left....I knew it wouldn't be good for my hormones!