

US!
Here is our nasty ugly couch. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of junk. We have had this couch since we were first married. It has been over 12 years. Not only is this couch ugly (although I swear it was in style at the time!) it is super uncomfortable. The other day Abby and I went to some one's house to visit her and her new baby. That evening Chris asked Abby how the visit was. The first thing she said was, "Dad their couch was SO comfortable. I just sank into it and it was so great!" The other sad part of this is that not only do we have an ugly couch, but we also have a matching love seat to go with it!! What?!
Here is the cushion that I tried to vacuum one day in my feeble attempt to be a good wife and impress Chris with my cleaning abilities when we were first married. I think we must have only had the couch a few months at that point.
(The reddish fabric sticking out is the blanket we have to put under the cushions because it is so lopsided without it...)
Over the last few years we have been couch shopping numerous times. One time we actually were super close to buying new couches, but we decided to wait. At one point we decided to wait until Isaac was bigger, then we decided to wait because we knew we were going to remodel and weren't sure the what the configuration of our living room would be like and what would fit. Now our excuse is that we don't want to buy anything new until we move back in. Then our excuse will be we have no money. So I wonder how many more years it can go....... Seriously how long am I going to let it keep ruining my pictures!!! I think there needs to be an intervention!






12 comments:
See, but now I'm kind of rooting for the couch. Look at the history! Look at the love! Even the cute story about showing off your domestic skills.
This couch must be allowed to survive! Save the couch!
p.s. I have my own plaid couch in our family's history to contend with... and yet see how pitiless I am to your plight?
Hahaha I love this post. I don't think the couch is that bad. At least it's held out that long and isn't all dingy and gross like ours after only 4 years. Maybe when Lily moves out it will be time for new couches. :) Just kidding...
I admit there is a lot of love.....but it IS dingy and gross!!
Twelve years!! We've had ours for 21 years when it suddenly disappeared while I was visiting a friend. Max moved out a week after graduation and took it to his house. I never had a chance to say "Goodbye" :( Then, we bought a big soft blue sofa----how big was it?? It was so big that Gordy and Max had to take the picture window out to get it in!!! It will never leave our house again!!! Be sure to measure the new sofa ...:)
Thanks for the tip Aunt Renate!! I will make sure I measure! Some days I wish my couch would just disappear. I actually tried to sell it on Craigs List twice but no takers. Shocking.
Lisa, I have a picture of you holding Emily as a wee little baby on that couch. I just came across it recently. My grandparents had the same couch for close to 30 years. Can you imagine? We have TONS of pictures and lots of memories on that old ugly uncomfortable couch! :)
Why do we buy those kind of couches--ugly and uncomfortable...must have been a bargain at the time. And why do they last forever??? Things to ponder!
There's always a slipcover! That could by you another decade or so. :)
Lisa-
Go to www.uglycouchcontest.com and click on "contest" As you scroll down you will see UGLY couches. You will probably feel so grateful for yours!
BUT, I say indulge. You can get couches for pretty fair prices these days. Let your family enjoy and be comfortable!! YOU DESERVE IT!
What a hilarious post! We had so many ugly and uncomfortable couches growing up. They were all couches other people didn't want, but we were grateful for them at the time. Your kids will look back and love this couch! :)
OH I love this post. We had a couch "set" that was very similiar to yours, but country blue and cream checked. We were so excited when we first bought it- we even had a couple of friends copy us and they bought the same set! But after moving with it six different times, we were done. I didn't miss it at all, and I'm actually pretty sentimental. It had passed its prime.
I agree with Janis- go for it! You won't regret it and you will wonder why you waited so long in the first place. (You can use the old set in your new bonus room!!)
Speaking of bonus room, we're due for some updated pictures of the remodel. How's it coming along??
Post a Comment