Monday, September 15, 2008

Happy To Be.

Today I am happy to be a mom.


Today I am happy to be a daugher.


Today I am happy to be a wife.


Today I am just plain happy to be.


September 15th is a day we always celebrate in our house because it is my anniversary of being cancer free. On September 15th 2003, I finally was told that I was cancer free. A year later, in 2004, after having been cancer free for 12 months, I was considered to be in remission.


This is a picture taken shortly after I lost my hair. Some of the young men in our ward and their leaders shaved their heads in support of me. It was probably one of the the most touching acts of service I had at that time, but definitely not the only. I can't even begin to tell you the many tender mercies and acts of service that my family and I were the recipients of during that time.




I sometimes can't even believe that this part of my life ever happened. Most of the time it really seems like a distant memory. But occasionally I will have a flashback from a smell, or seeing someone wearing a bandanna, or when I catch a glimpse of my still fading chemo burns-- and I remember. Life is precious. Be happy to be.

To learn more about Choriocarcinoma click here.

20 comments:

Becky said...

Lisa- I'm happy to BE your friend. Your are such an inspiration to others.

sacramentostakeclerk said...

At the time, I only knew of you second-hand, through Amber, really. I remember feeling shocked by the news (you were so young!) and scared for you and your adorable little family....

...but now that I have the (great pleasure) of knowing you a little better, I'm not sure cancer ever stood a chance! I have no idea what it was really like for you at the time, but I have to imagine that all the faith, strength of character and personal conviction that I see in you now were used to karate chop that sucka' into submission.

Also, you had the benefit of looking pretty cute in a bandana. (I'm always happy to find the superficial upside in any situation.)

Leslie said...

Hope you have a wonderful celebration today with your family! You look BEutiful!

Lucy said...

Wow. It's crazy how easy it is to forget that you went through that. I'm so, so happy that you still get to BE, and really happy that we have this connection. Congratulations on a great day to BE:)

Kents said...

Lisa, I was not in contact with you during that time, and I never knew you had cancer. Can you tell me a little more about it? I have a good friend, 25 years old, newly-wed, who has just become cancer-free. It has been a LONG year and a half for her. What a wonderful way to celebrate with a day of gratitude and remembrance.

Lisa said...

For those of you who didn't know, I had a partial molar pregnancy in 2003. Basically this means that there is part fetal tissue and part tumor. Usually you go on to have a D&C and you are fine. I was in the unlucky 5% that goes on to develop choriocarcinoma (FYI this is like the female version of testicular cancer in my uterus, but not uterine cancer). I'll put a link at the bottom of the post in case anyone what to learn more about this cancer. I underwent 3 rounds of light chemo (what I called it) and three rounds of the heavy duty stuff. They said I should never have anymore kids because of the risk of it coming back with each pregnancy. Look at me now.....

Ashley A. said...

I sometimes can't believe that you went through that, too. I'm so thankful for how everything turned out. The strength you showed during that time was an inspiration to me. And, what a blessing it is to have Isaac and Lily in our family, too! I love you!

Perky's Posts said...

Lisa, you are so wonderful and I am so grateful for your postive example. Even through this trial you were an inspiriation to me. Love ya, Christy

Moose and Family said...

What a blessing it is for you to BE there blogging!! Today is a good day to celebrate. I think I'll have an ice cream in your honor! :)

MEB said...

Wow-Lisa, what an inspiring post! You are an inspiration! I too am happy to BE your friend!

Love you-
Melinda

Amber said...

What a great picture! I remember when they did it. I also remember you were Keith's primary teacher back then. I loved that he was so interested and concerned for you at such a young age.

It is interesting how life experiences make us who we are. (It actually feels like a tangable thing inside us that make up our existance) Whenever I look at you and your family especilly Isaac and now Lily I think of miracles.

Sheri said...

Congratulations Lisa!!! You and your family exhibited so much faith and strength during this time. You were and still are an inspiration to me. I hope you and your family had a wonderful day today!

RufflesAndFringe said...

Thanks for the fantastic reminder of how precious life is! Congratulations!

Jared & Larisa said...

OK, that post made me cry. I didn't know you at the time but I am so grateful I know you now! You are a beautiful woman, inside and out.

Janis said...

Lisa, You are an inspiration to many. You handled your situation with such grace and dignity and while times might have been rough, you always held your head high. Everyone felt your strength.
Thanks for the reminder of how precious life is!

Anne said...

Lisa, you are the strongest woman I know. I'm so honored to be your friend. I echo Melissa's (and everyone's) comments and could not have said it better myself. You are a classy, beautiful, living miracle and your example touches me daily.

Lisa said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments. Really you are all way to nice to me.

Kelly said...

Lisa, What a wonderful anniversary. I am so glad for you and your beautiful family!

FriscoFour said...

Oh Lisa, what a great post. And thanks for the reminder. I know no one is more happy than your beautiful family! What a blessing.

Blaine and Tirsa said...

That is awesome. Thanks for the reminder. What a miracle you had in your life!