Thursday, March 5, 2009

Domestication Update


Just in case you were worried I was going to go all June Cleaver on you from this previous post, not to fear. I was making bread the other day (with the dough setting on my bread maker of course) and I started smelling something burning. I looked into my handy dandy bread maker and nothing was happening. The motor was running but the dough was not moving. So I got a spatula and poked the bottom to see if the mixer part was moving. Well silly me forgot to put the mixer part in! I was so sad because I was so excited to try this bread because I heard it was super yummy (it has 2/3 cup sugar in it!). So I was about to throw it all out, when I thought to myself (dangerous I know), "Hey, I can do this by hand!" So I took the dough out and started kneading it by hand. It was SO not fun. My mom thinks it is a great stress reliever, but I disagree. It was causing me major stress. So I was all frazzled and spend like an hour doing the whole process of kneading and forming the rolls. Not exactly what I wanted to do with my free time when Lily was napping and Isaac was at school, but whatever.


So I let the rolls rise for a couple hours and the house smelt SO good. I just couldn't wait to get my mouth on those yummy rolls. Fast forward to after I baked them. When they came out of the oven I let them cool a bit, then I grabbed one, buttered it and took a much anticipated bite. ...... YUCK! It was not good. It hardly had a taste at all. I couldn't understand why I was told they were SO delish. Then a thought came to my mind. Wasn't I supposed to add other ingredients after it mixed a bit in the bread maker? Oops. I guess in my frazzled state of smelling something burning and my dough ball not being formed I left out a slightly important step: Adding the egg, powdered milk, and salt.



P.S. I won't tell you that this is actually the second attempt at making these rolls. The first time I added to much floor and it overflowed my bread maker (that time I did throw it all out).



Maybe third times a charm?

So back to packaged dinners and crescent rolls it is.....

3 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

Actually, I won't lie. This development pleases me. I didn't like feeling like I'm the last domestic holdout in the greater Sacramento area (and beyond?)... and, I assure you, I'm not making bread any time soon. Not because I don't wish I could. I wish I could! It's just that... well you've already given a very accurate description of how it would go for me in your own post. Welcome back, chicka!

erin said...

Lisa,
I too, am deficiant in bread making skills, and honestly sometimes it makes me feel like less of a "Mormon Woman"! I hate to admit it but sometimes I even mess up Rhodes Rolls! Also I don't buy into the hype that kneading is a stress reliever...the few times I have attempted to make cinnamon rolls, I had to apologize to my kids for being so cranky!
Hey,maybe we will bump into each other in the crescent roll section of the supermarket!!

Moose and Family said...

Lisa, you are too funny! I like Erin even manage to screw up the Rhodes rolls too. I've been practicing my bread making skills and believe me... I need A LOT of practice. We have all this wheat and flour in food storage. I should know how to use it BEFORE we have an emergency...right??