Friday, May 16, 2008

Still Hangin' Tough?



I had the TV on to the Today show this morning while I was getting ready. All of the sudden the familiar music caught my attention. "Whoaaaa ooohhhh ooohhhh ohhh oh, Hangin' Tough."
You all know the song-- I am sure it was stuck in your head a zillion times in the early 90's. Now I am going to divulge some info from my past that hopefully you will not hold against me. I was a HUGE New Kids On The Block fan. Huge. They were the first concert I went to. I had posters, T-shirts, you name it. As an official member of their fan club, I was a bit obsessed. So when I heard the music today, I quickly ran to the TV filled with nostalgic memories. Sure enough NKOTB was performing on the Today Show. I had no idea they were making a comeback, and I must say part of me was very excited. However, once they started performing I was quite shocked. They were TERRIBLE. It was like American Idol gone bad. Actually I don't think they could have got past the auditions for AI. It was that bad, in my humble opinion. So were they always that bad and I was just blinded by my teenage crush on Jon and Donnie?

Not only were they bad, but I couldn't even recognize anyone but Donnie and only because he really is the only one who is still around I guess. Watch it and let me know what you think. Am I being too hard on my teenage heart throbs? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/24664786#24664786

10 comments:

ktnelson said...

Lisa,
I know that I stalk your blog and rarely comment, but I couldn't resist this one. I agree with you completely. Not only did they sound terrible, but they looked ridiculous! Men in their thirties and forties should NOT try and dance like that! I just hope that they are smarter about saving/investing their money this time around, because their "comeback" can't possibly last!

Nicole said...

I also loved NKOB. My parents were not about to spend any of their hard earned money on concert tickets (not that I can blame them) so I never went to their concerts. I did however have their autobiographies (which I poured through just in case I should happen to meet them, I would have plenty of things to talk about) and tapes and posters. I was so jealous of my sister's friend Chrissy who had a nightgown with a big picture of Jordan Knight on it.

They did sound really bad, but in their defense, it sounded like they were having some sort of technical difficulty. Some of them were really loud and some you could barely hear. Plus they are a little older than they used to be and apparently a little more out of shape. Dancing and singing at once seemed to be a little out of their range.

Also I would like to say that it isn't necessarily that we had bad taste, we just had teenager taste. My sister is obsessed with the Jonas Brothers. She made me listen to their album and watch them perform on youtube. It wasn't really bad, but I said to my dad that it seemed way to whiny. He laughed at me and said that is what teenage girls like. He said it was the same as the NKOB that I was obsessed with.

Leslie said...

I was in love with Joey when I was 9!!! They are old and out of touch. But I read that their tour has already sold out and they added more dates to accomodate the demand. CRAZY!!!

Anne said...

I'm feeling really old because NKOTB was SOOO my younger sister's thing.

Me, uh, well, I had a major crush on Michael Jackson in the 8th grade (Thriller!). Seriously, I would have married him. My mom sat me down to have a little talk about true love with Michael, and I couldn't believe she wasn't supportive. She SO did not understand me.

Wait. I just realized Adam is the same age I was when I had that crush. Ew!

FriscoFour said...

Lisa, thanks for the post and the good laugh watching that TERRIBLE performance. Simon would have verbally demolished them. I loved New Kids when I was younger. I remember watching their videos and singing along. If my memory serves me correctly, they were much better back in the day and actually harmonized. I'm not sure what just happened on the TODAY show. Hopefully I'll sleep okay tonight! ;-}

Lisa said...

Nicole,

I totally saved up to go to the concert, I am sure my parents' would have never funded such obsession.

Anne,

I am sure Michael Jackson probably would have married you when you were nine!

Moose and Family said...

Lisa - You are so funny!! I never knew you loved them so. I remember riding in the car with you on the way to seminary listing to the likes of Tricia Yearwood, Violent Femmes, and Tom Cochrane. (The same 3 songs over and over again!) NKOTB was one group that I never got into. I guess I didn't miss out on much based on this video!!

Lisa said...

Heather,
Over and over again?? What was I thinking?

Moose and Family said...

You must have only liked those songs on the tapes! (Yes...tapes!!)LOL Even to this day when I hear "She's in Love with the Boy", "Life is a Highway", & "Blister in the Sun" I totally think of you! :)

Melissa said...

You're right - they were terrible!