- You can look but please don't touch
- Just a peek, but please don't breathe on her (yes I seriously said this...)
- Isaac get your finger out of Lily's mouth! (Said in a horrific tone of voice)
- No you can't hold her, sorry
- She isn't ready to make her debut yet (as she is in her car seat with a blanket over the top)
and on the rare occasion that I actually do let someone hold her
- Hmmm...do you mind washing your hands
- Here is some hand gel....
- You're not sick are you?
Okay so I realize I am a germaphobe, and I know that is part of it but there is just something about having a newborn that I don't want to share with others. She is so little and pure and vulnerable that I just want to savor it all and not miss any of it. Is this normal? Where you like this with your newborns?
I know at some point I will have to "share" her. In fact right now it is currently 3:30 in the morning and I'm thinking sharing wouldn't be so bad.....






6 comments:
You are allowed not to share!! I think it is important to be very protective and cautious. Sick newborns are scary. Plus, what if she is your last baby??? Savor every moment and make this a special time for you and your family.
Heck, I wouldn't share her with the general public for at least a month or more! :)
Let me know when you're ready, because I would love to come see you before I move this summer!
You are so not alone in feeling this way. I am exactly the same with my newborns. I totally avoid the public for at least the 1st month and even then, I'm kind of weird about when certain people come to my house or ask to hold the baby. Sometimes I feel kind of "greedy" but I think It's just our protective mothering instincts that take over. I understand so much that when I see other newborns, I admire from a distance and NEVER ask to hold them because I know how some mothers feel about the whole thing. (I must have it really bad - because even at 3:30am I don't want anyone's help!!) "Honey, just roll over and go back to sleep - I've got it" :)
I feel totally bad because the other day when I saw you in the grocery store, you lifted the blanket off her head... when all I really wanted to comment on was how cute her tiny feet were dangling from the Baby Bjorn. I always take a blanket-covered baby to mean something.
Now, you've posted this right after that happened and I feel totally bad.
The Koreans might just have the right idea keeping their newborns in for 100 days. It avoids even having to worry about this all in the first place, I guess. Go Korean tradition!
Melissa, you are so funny! That was all me lifting the blanket up. I figured since she was in the front pack no one was going to get to close, you know the whole personal space issue. Plus if you had gotten to close I just would have breathed on you and you would have realized I didn't have time to brush my teeth that day and backed off.... :)
This is so funny. I'm the exact same way! I get sooo protective of my babies. I can even be quite mean. So I try to be very sensitive to other new moms and keep a good distance.
The worst is when you are at the grocery store and the baby is in the carseat in the front (covered of course) and you have to separate while the cart goes through the checkout process. The checker always has to have a peek... and sometimes a touch! And to think where her hands have been!! You're smart to use the Bjorn.
This was a great post! I am EXACTLY the same way with newborns...heck, Ez is 7.5 months and I still get a little anxiety with people's grubby hands all over him. I know people have good intentions but I think hand gel is the best invention and I always have it close by, especially when they are super new.
Post a Comment