Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lucky or Learned?

My baby has been sleeping through the night (defined as 6-8 hours) since she was 5 weeks old. She is now 8 weeks old and currently sleeps 8-9 hours each night. In another few weeks I won't be surprised at all when she starts sleeping 10-12 hours each night. I expect it. It isn't something I brag about (okay that's not true sometimes I do), but if you think about what the most common question is when you have a newborn: "How are they/you sleeping?" or "Are you getting much rest?" the subject gets brought up a lot. When I tell people how well Lily sleeps they usually tell me how lucky I am. I actually know that this is not true. It is not luck at all, but skill......and anyone can have it. I have trained my baby to sleep through the night and yes, I would like to take some credit for it! With both Isaac and Lily I discovered the book, "Baby Wise" which teaches you how to train your baby to sleep through the night by about 8 weeks. I was talking to my friend Anne before I had Lily and telling her about the book. She can correct me if I am wrong, but I think she was a bit sceptical of the whole therory. When at 5 weeks Lily slept 7 1/2 hours and I told her, the response she had was awesome. Instead of the usual, you're so lucky, response, she said, "You did it!!" I didn't think about how perfect that response was until later, but really it was right on. I did it. I trained my child to sleep through the night. Sceptical? Buy the book. Have a baby. Try it.

7 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

I've read "Baby Wise" and "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"... and I say learned!

It also helps to have a husband who read the books too (um, maybe even first?) and helps keep me from being my own worst enemy. These books can also really be about training the parent. Especially a foolish one like me who has responded to the question, "Why isn't the baby in bed?" with an answer like, "She looked cute."

Moose and Family said...

I will definitely give this book a try. I think it took both my kids until about 7 months old to sleep through the night. Thanks for the tip!!

Leslie said...

Own the book, Had a baby, It works - no skepticism here! :)

Good Job!

Perky's Posts said...

You are an awesome mom! I've heard they have other "wise" books. Preteen and teenage books too!

Anne said...

You were right, Lisa, I was a bit skeptical when you told me about it. But as I watched you from day one with Lily, you were so diligent about feeding her every 3 hours and keeping her on a schedule- I was so impressed. And now look at you-- getting a full-night's sleep every night. I am totally convinved it is NOT luck. You trained her. You worked for it, and you deserve it.

(And I totally think you should brag about it!)

Jana said...

I "babywised" all three of my kids and all were sleeping 10-12 hours by 8 weeks. It totally works.

Blaine and Tirsa said...

I did Baby Wise with Bella and she slept 12 hours a night starting at 4 months. I didn't do this with Ez for various reasons and he is 8 months old and still getting up twice a night!!! Good job. You deserve to take credit because it requires discipline on your side to follow the plan. I know, having done it myself.