But sadly it was more like this:
We had to be at the hospital at 5:45 am. Yikers! Everything went well. One funny story is that the anesthesiologist was briefing me before hand about what she was going to do. She told me that she was going to put some medicine in my IV and I was going to feel like I'd had a few drinks and then I wasn't going to remember anything else. I told her that I had never had a few drinks. She was shocked and said I was the first person who had ever said that! After she put the medicine in she said something like, "Enjoy, here are the first two drinks you have never had!" I had two really good male nurses. Sadly they didn't look like McDreamy either, (although I am sure I wouldn't have noticed in my drug induced state)but they were really nice and took super good care of me.
I came home the same day and was told to rest for the next 4 weeks. I can't sit for longer than 15-20 minutes or stand for two long.
Now I am about 10 days post op and feeling stronger each day. I was told that the only exercise I could do for the next 4 weeks was to walk and I could walk as much as I was comfortable doing.
The second day I had Chris take me out for a walk. I told him I was going to walk to the corner of our street. I got about 3 houses down and had to come back. But now I am walking up and down the street and going out about 3 times a day for a little walk. I am still slow but have definitely picked up speed from last week.
I have already noticed more muscle strength returning but still have the numbness and tingling in my left leg. That can sometimes take longer to heal.
My mom has been a saint and has been taking the three younger kids during the mornings to entertain them. Did I mention my mom and dad cut their vacation short to come home and help me?
Sadly the only good night sleep I have got since the surgery was the night I got home. I think I was so drugged I slept like I had never slept before. Now my body is all messed up (like right now it's 1 am...). I have been trying to spend more time out in the living room laying on the couch than in bed so my body can differentiate when it is time to sleep vs. rest. It's just so hard because I am use to being more active. I am sure my body just doesn't know what is going on. I am looking forward to returning to normal.
One of the nice things is that I have plenty of time to read. I think I have read 5 or 6 books since the surgery!
I have had a pity day today. I just have felt so discouraged. I know it is still early on but I was hoping to be see more of an improvement by now. Here are some of the things I miss and have taken for granted:
- bending over to wash my face or brush my teeth
- Picking anything up off the floor
- getting the milk out of the fridge when its full
- Picking up Lily
- Shaving my legs
- going up the stairs (haven't been up yet!!)
- driving (hopefully by next week I can do this??)
- TARGET!!! I so miss this place. Chris says he is sure there stock has dropped significantly since I have been away.
- acting like a mom
I do have to give a huge shout out to my dear hubby. He is amazing. He does everything around the house and doesn't complain at all. Em and especially Abby (since she is off track) have also been a huge help. They are such troopers.
Okay enough of the complaining. Thanks for all the prayers. Keep them coming!
P.S. I wrote this a couple days ago very late at night when I couldn't sleep. Today I went to see my Dear Friend, TARGET. Oh, how I have missed you. I am trying to do more and more...I told my mom she is just going to have to drive me around for all my errands!
P.P.S I also walked around the block yesterday! :)






6 comments:
Wow, I am long winded when I am drugged...
I am SO sorry you have been suffering with this back injury and had to have surgery. It just sounds so miserable. I really hope you recover quickly and are back to feeling like yourself and doing all your normal things soon. Thinking of you!
I'm glad to hear that you are getting around a little more. We definitely missed you on Monday! Don't worry, I've spent plenty of money at Target in the last couple of weeks, so their stock should be just fine! Glad to hear that you liked "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet." I've annoyed everyone I know with an infomercial about that book. I just love it! Hope to see you soon! :)
Glad to hear that things are improving. I broke my leg and ankle when I was 8 months pregnant and delivered the day after I fell. It was 12 weeks before I could go upstairs and walk with Max. Gordy had to burp Max for me and my mom or grandma Betty took turns taking care of food and cleaning. I remember when I got to drive (it was my right leg) and Gordy stood there realizing that I wasn't trapped in the house any more. Everyone is wonderful but its so nice to be able to drive, shop, and take care of your kids. When Lucas was born, I rarely sat down because I never got to do the baby in my arms walking before....all this frustration will be a faint memory soon... :)
I'm sorry your recovery is going slow. It's amazing all the "little" things you miss. Say hi to your parents...they are saints!! Get well QUICK!!
Don't get discouraged!!! You're doing AWESOME. Try to be patient, even though I know it's really difficult. Loves :)
Post a Comment