Remember my goal to run a 10k? Well yesterday this goal was completed! My friend Melissa and I ran the Pony Express 10k.
Melissa and I were pretty nervous on the drive to the race. It POURED the whole hour drive there. When we got there this is what it looked like outside the car window:
There was also a 30k and a 50k that started before our 10k so that is one of the crazy runners you see in the picture. Below you see one of the many puddles that was there. Luckily we didn't have to deal with any that deep but there were a lot of them and we did have to do some fancy foot work to try to avoid them as best we could. The worst was that the professional runners wouldn't even attempt to dodge them but rather splash right through them and splashing us at the same time.
When we got there we were a little early so we put on our sweatshirts and ran over to where the registration was going on and then headed back to the car to warm up and try to stay dry. It was still raining at this point. See how wet Melissa is?!
Here we are before the race.
When we started our run it had pretty much stopped raining and remained mostly dry for the next hour while we ran (and started pouring again on the way home!). We both had great runs! The course was a 1 1/4 mile loop around a lake that was a well packed dirt/gravel path. The 10k runners did 5 loops around. I pretty much lost count of how many times I had gone around and was wondering how many more I had. There was someone counting laps for us and when I got to the area where they count the guy said, "Last lap Lisa." I was SO happy to hear that and gave it my all the last 1 1/4 mile. I think I was running on pure adrenaline! I made my best time (58.51) and had about 9.15 minute miles, which is super good for me! I was laughing SO hard when the event coordinator came over after the run to congratulate me on coming in third! I thought for sure he must be kidding. I am sure it was only because the really good runners were all running the 30/50k and not the 10k! But either way it made me feel good and I will take what I can get!
Here is Melissa with her prize of a box of yummy looking granola bars!
And here I am with my prize of a canister of Electrolyte powder.
Of course we had to get an after picture too! This race was so much fun! Never, ever, ever did I think I would say that running is fun! But it really was! It also helps that I had such great company. Thanks Melissa for going with me and being such a good mentor and being so encouraging. You are awesome! Maybe someday I can run as far as you and join you at some of those really long races (you know the one I mean; although I am still not committing!).
So can I call myself a runner now?






11 comments:
Yes! You can call yourself an awesome runner! You inspire me!
Is this the same girl that likes skiing only when it's warm and sunny out? My mind doesn't comprehend that. :)
I will say that Lisa has Isaac to thank for the break in the weather. He said a prayer for her at about 7:45 that morning all on his own!
Isaac,
I can't thank you enough for that prayer! It was a crazy morning weather-wise... your prayer got us through our race! I'm a believer!
-M
p.s. Your mom is a rocking runner!
This just figures. You worry that you'll even be able to run that far only a few months ago and when the race comes you get third place!! I couldn't believe it when your mom told me. Seriously though, that is awesome. I want to become a real runner, too, someday.
I never had doubts about you racing--when you put your mind to it, you can do anything. I remember all the 5K's 10K's and the big one, it was great at the finish. I do miss it but don't think my knee would take it even if I did lose weight......you've always been built like a runner....how is your foot after the race???
Aunt Renate, my foot is totally fine now! It's wierd b/c the day before my race I was having all these random aches and pains. Now I think it was more mental!!
That is so fabulous!! Way to go, Lisa!!! It's only the beginning of March and you nailed that goal :) Running can definitely be addicting and I can't wait to catch the fever again ...
I think it was your body telling you to rest the day before-amazing how it works....
YOU ARE A RUNNER!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!
WAY TO GO! That is so awesome! You are FOR SURE a runner! 9.15 miles is amazing!
Yes, you read my blog right. I am training for a 1/2 marathon, but I am not even close to a 9.15 mile. I run at a snails pace, but at least I am running. :) McKay and Rachel put me up to the challenge and I am running with them in CA at the end of this month! AHHH! So scary! My goal is to finish before they take down the clocks. :)
Um Melinda, that's a 9.15 minute mile, not 9.15 miles! :) The total was 6.34 miles or something like that! You are awesome to be doing the 1/2!!! YAY!
Post a Comment