
I have never really been one who is in the yearly habit of making New Year Resolutions. Why set myself up for failure? But for some reason this year I am changing my tune. Just so that I can show you all how much I fail at completing resolutions I am putting them on my blog so that all three of you who read it will be able to share in my failure (or unlikely success) of them! Or you can at least cheer me on via cyberspace. So here they are in no specific order or level of importance.
- I would like to spend less time online (see my last attempt at this HERE). Didn't work out so well since I have no idea where my timer is. Oops, I'll try again.
- Run a 10k (I am really setting myself up to fail admitting this, but oh, well). I started running last spring and have gotten up to 5 miles without stopping, which I think is huge considering I couldn't even run a mile when I started. I still don't consider myself a "runner" but maybe someday.
- Eat less nightly milkshakes (I know I am going to regret this one as well). Let me specify that less means not EVERY night.
- Learn to play the piano (This one is only valid if we actually GET a piano). Chris if you are reading this you know what to do. :)
- Develop a better habit of studying the scriptures and other good books. Set aside a specific time to do this.
- Get all my pictures scrap booked during busy season.
- Lower my cholesterol. You might think that someone like me would have great cholesterol, after all I am average weight and I work out 5+ times a week. Have you seen that commercial with the fat guy eating the hamburger and then his cholesterol flashes 250. Then you see the skinny girl and her cholesterol is higher than his. Yup, I'm that skinny girl (although my cholesterol is a little lower than 250).
- Be better about spending one on one time with my kids (mostly meaning my girls since I seem to have constant attention for the other two kiddos).
- Be a better listener (I feel like I am a constant interrupter, HELP!).
- Blog at least 3 times a month. I was going to say weekly but I think that may be pushing it.
- Serve other's more and get my kids involved in this too.
- Develop a more personal relationship with my Savior (I guess this goes along with goal # 5, but I feel it's the most important goal so it needs it's own number.
Wish me luck!! Stay tuned for updates!
Did you set any New Year's Resolutions??






10 comments:
I love your list! I'm so impressed with your 10K goal and I totally know you can do it! (Can I come?! I mean you'll definitely leave me in the dust... but tortoises are people too! Right? Wait, no, that makes no sense.)
Anyway!
Lots of my own goals run along the same lines as yours... scriptures, being a better mom. I'm a terrible listener, too... always interrupting! I'm awful and I hadn't even thought about trying to improve. (I was so busy interrupting people.)
One of my goals is to be a better friend, more thoughtful. I have enormous affection for my sweet, sweet friends and I think about them all the time... but I'd like to be better at making it more obvious to my friends that I think they're great.
My sister's sister-in-law had what I think is a cool idea for this year's resolutions. She's focusing on one goal a month for the entire year. I liked this a lot. Sometimes resolutions can seem overwhelming... because, well, I could use a lot of improvement across multiple areas of my life!
And lastly, I'd like to stop leaving ridiculously long comments on the blogs of my sweet, sweet friends. Because seriously, it's like I have an addiction to typing or something. Intervention!
Melissa, You HAVE to come on the
10K and you are SO funny to think I would be in front of you. That won't be happening. I will be lucky just to finish.
I like your sister's SIL's idea about the monthly goal. Maybe I will work on my computer time next December... HA!
And lastly, I like your long comments. After all you are one of the three people who read this!
Those are great resolutions! Every Christmas Eve we do "Gifts to Jesus" with our kids. Basically its kind of like resolutions - we write down goals and things we want to work on to improve ourselves. We wrap them up and then the following year we open them up to see how well we did. It helps us do better knowing that we are doing it for our Savior and not just ourselves. We talk about it a couple times during the year at FHE to help us stay on track.
Good Luck!
Lisa - You'll do great! I admire you for making goals and sharing them with everyone. Helps us to get motivated ourselves!
Lisa, you can TOTALLY do a 10K. Let me know when you are doing it and I will come up and run with you--it would be good motivation for me. And I think you'll find out that you're a better runner than you think you are.
And the upside is, the more you run, the more milkshakes you can have!
Hey, I read your blog too. I took up running when I was 30 something and ran a marathon at age 35 years. If I could do it - you certainly could. I remember run on a track and telling myself "I hate running, I hate running, etc" When I had one lap left I started singing hymns and I finished my first mile. Weeks later I did 2, 3, then 5 and even 10. When I trained for the marathon, I met your Uncle Gordy. I was hard to consentrate on training, but one Sat I ran 24 miles and ran up the court house steps and I the Rocky dance with my arms in the air!!!1 It was great to do it but I got so busy with getting married and having step-kids and my own 2 that I forgot myself. So all of you young moms--congrats at taking care of yourselves and working out and running like you do. Sorry about the long one, but you bring back some good memories. I have arthrities in my knee so all I'll have is memories of that time....
Don't overwhelm yourself with all the goals--you do pretty well for having four kids. Don't beat yourself up so much.... R
Okay, I stand corrected. Five people read my blog! :)
Aunt Renate, I LOVED your comment. You are awesome!
Katie, you are ON! (The trick is finding a 10K that isn't on a Sunday!)
Try to get one that doesn't have many hills too or at least have one that goes gently down hill at the end. Whatever you chose you'll do great!! Be sure to get photos....I had people from Decorah at the marathon who ran with me for 13 miles and it helped sooooo much. So having someone with you is a good idea.
I want in on the 10K! Of course, it depends when you're doing it. I can't even start running until April 1 but as soon as that day hits I'm getting my butt in shape again :)
And I've NEVER noticed you interrupting. I do it all the time with Jared and it's something I'm working on too. But I know him so well I can articulate what he's trying to say better than he can, right?
Good luck with the resolutions!
Lisa, you are so ambitious with your goals. I made three regular ones (you should have been in RS for Megan's awesome New Year's Resolutions lesson) and about 10 that I refuse to write down in case I don't actually do them. I'm very intimidated now reading yours, though. But I have no doubt you will do them- even though most of them are things you already do! Hello- you listen to me ALL THE TIME. And serve others constantly, and... Well, I just want to say that I really look up to you, that's all.
Post a Comment